Sunday, November 9, 2008

Final Good-byes






Last night before he went to bed Galen kissed Dawson and Madison good-bye, since he knew he would be asleep when they left this morning. We will be leaving in a couple of hours for Spokane where we will meet with the wonderful people who are welcoming Dawson and Madison into their lives. They are going to different homes but will live relatively close to each other so that will be nice for them.

A few weeks ago I realized that what I am is really a bridge between where a puppy has been and where s/he is supposed to go. They are not mine to keep (well, most of them anyway :) but rather I am the caretaker for the short time it takes them to get prepared to start the lives they are meant to have with other people. It is really a sacred responsibility to create life and then to let those lives go -- and it is hard, as I have said before.

This has been a fun litter. They are lovely, happy puppies who have been relatively easy to raise. We have loved each and every one of them, and feel good about the homes they have or will have. There is relief, of course, that we are done. And there is sorrow -- but most of all I feel a sense of accomplishment because I know in my heart that we have done right by each puppy. They were carefully bred, carefully and lovingly raised, and placed in new homes with the utmost concern for their welfare. I like to do things well and I think we did with this litter. Thanks for all your support, encouragement, visits, and interest -- it really feels like a community raised these puppies so great job, Team F Litter!

We have started a Yahoo F Litter email group so the owners of the F Litter puppies. If any of you want to join that list to keep up with their progress, I invite you to continue your involvement through that list: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flitter/

I will continue to post pictures and updates on this Blog until we transition to the G Litter in 12 days (yikes).

This morning Halo wanted to hang out with her remaining babies. She is just fine with the departures -- maybe dogs are better than us in knowing how to make transitions?! But this morning she wanted to play and I took some pictures to share with you. Notice that one puppy in front has a gray line of fur -- this is the developing color of this puppy coat. Several from this litter will be gray puppies, just as Halo was. Their puppy coats will look as if someone put flour on them! And then it will shed out and the puppies will be a lovely black.

I hope your Sunday is a restful one -- thanks for checking in and for all your support.

2 comments:

  1. I will reiterate once again how impressed I have been at this entire process. I consider myself very lucky to be the owner of one of your beautifully bred dogs. Homer is perfect! Thank you for you dedication to this wonderful breed of dog and starting a lifelong friendship with me. Best of luck with the new litter. I wish "they" could realize how lucky they are to have you!!
    Jonny Greco

    PS Well I just turned around and Homer was on the coffee table scoring a treat I left out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is really a sacred responsibility to create life and then to let those lives go -- and it is hard, as I have said before."

    Beautifully said. And I can't help but well-up as I read the "final goodbyes" post. What a journey this has been, even for those of us who have been doing it "virtually." Thank you for sharing this experience with all of us. And thank you for the offer to the rest of us to continue hearing about the F Litter on the yahoogroup.

    Thank you, M-A, and safe Westerly travels.

    ~ Liz A.
    Urbana, Illinois

    ReplyDelete